We’re taking a sideways slide from our usual closet organization tips to talk a little bit about why you might, or might not, want to switch your closet over at the end of each season.
Style rules are really wonderful when they help us make decisions that make life feel easier, but when “the rules” dictate we do something that doesn’t jive, they can feel really stressful. So instead of blindly suggesting you follow the rule that says you need to switch your closet over for the season, we’ve put together a list of reasons to help you make an educated decision for yourself.
To switch or not to switch?
You may want to switch your closet over each season if you:
- feel overwhelmed getting dressed: If the idea of getting ready each morning causes shortness of breath, you may find life easier if you don’t have everything you own packed into your closet. Streamline a little by only having what you could wear in your closet.
- have limited closet space: Whether your closet is large or small, if your clothes are packed in like sardines, pulling the pieces out that you won’t be able to wear this season will help you immensely.
- you get bored of your clothes: Save some money on new clothes by pulling pieces out of your closet each season and putting them somewhere you can’t see them. Then, next season you’ll have a bunch of clothes you already own that feel brand new!
- you need motivation to pare down: If you’re the type of person who really needs a little push to let things go, the change of season is an easy time to do this. Start with the pieces that you could have worn this season, but didn’t. It may feel easier to let go of a piece if you know it’s just been sitting there all season.
- you dream crazy organized closet dreams: Dreaming of an organized closet probably means that you really really want to feel organized in the wardrobe department. Pulling out the pieces you can’t wear this season is a great (and easy!) way to get started on your dreamy, organized closet.
You may not want to switch your closet over each season if you:
- find inspiration in stuff: Especially creative types sometimes feel happier and more inspired when they are surrounded by their most beautiful things. If this sounds like you, keep yourself surrounded by all your favourite pieces (no matter the season).
- have a mostly season-less wardrobe: If you have a wardrobe filled with clothes that can be worn layered (or not) during anytime of the year, awesome! No need to put pieces away without reason.
- have loads of closet space: If you’ve got a beautifully large closet, it may not be necessary to switch your clothes out because you may have enough room for all of it in your closet. If you resonated with some of the bullets in the above section, you could just move your out-of-season pieces to a hard-to-reach section of your closet and have the best of both worlds!
- you’re on top of pitching: Some people use the change of season as an excuse to cull and sort their wardrobe, but if you do that all the time, you may not feel the need to switch all your clothes over. You already know what you have and pitch all the stuff you don’t wear.
- don’t feel like it’s a top priority: Okay, so this is a slippery slope (sometimes it’s hard to find time for important things that benefit us), but if switching you clothes over for the season is low on the totem pole of priorities, give yourself permission to let it slide. There’s no point putting immense pressure on yourself for something that just won’t get done right now. Re-evaluate next season to see if it’s something you can manage then.
So, what do you think? Will you be switching your closet over this season, or not?
Coincidentally, I was just thinking I needed to turn over my closet and here was your post … definitely a sign! I dream to have an organized closet, I am bored and I have limited closet space. I am SO on the switch closet train. Thanks Wendy.