In the corporate world rules change depending on how conservative your work environment is. However, the most important thing is to stay cool in the summer. There is nothing confident about sweating through a meeting! Here are a few tips so you keep your cool this summer.
1. Natural fabrics – they breathe better than synthetics, so it is important to choose fabrics like linen, cotton, silk, and wool (fine knit) to keep cool in the summer. Although some technical fabrics are made of polyester, the everyday synthetics do not breathe so your body heat gets trapped and keeps you warm.
2. Loose fitting fabrics – are always cooler than fabrics that hug your skin. If you want to stay cool choose pieces that float away from you body.
3. Short sleeves – even if you have to wear a full suit, wearing a short sleeve blouse is best. Although totally appropriate to wear short sleeves in most offices, sleeveless blouses and shells are less professional everywhere.
4. Show your legs – apart from the most conservative offices, these days it is totally appropriate to have bare legs when you wear a skirt or dress – i.e. ditch the nylons in the summer! Keep your skirt length about an inch above your knee and you’re ready to go.
5. Cardigan – keep a neutral coloured cardigan (cream, white, navy, black, brown, or gray) at your desk so you can throw it on over any outfit if you get cold. The air conditioning tends to blast in office buildings so although you’re perfectly dressed for outside, you may be cold sitting at your desk.
Most of all, have fun! It’s summer time so play with colourful accessories to add sunny fun to your outfits.
Leave a Reply