The hourglass body shape is a combination shape – you can think of your top half as an inverted triangle, and the bottom half as a triangle.
If you have an Hourglass Body Shape you:
- have shoulders and hips that are the same width (in proportion to each other)
- have a very defined waist
- tend to enjoy showing off your tiny waist – baggy clothes usually don’t feel very comfortable for you
- may, or may not, have a large bust (not all hourglass shaped women look like Marilyn Monroe)
- tend to be attracted to clothing and accessories that are feminine, which emphasizes your womanly figure
Style Tips for the Hourglass Body Shape:
- bring attention to tiny waist with clothing that comes in and defines waist
- feminine clothing like dresses and skirts will be easier for you to wear than more masculine pieces like pants, and collared shirts
- fabrics that flow will be easiest for you to wear as they will drape nicely over your curvy figure
- when you’re shopping for pants, look for a size that fits the widest part of your figure and ignore the gaping waist band. You will likely need to alter every pair of pants you buy in order to get the waist to fit you properly.
- if you choose a sleeve length that ends the same distance down your arm as the smallest part of your waist, you will make yourself appear slimmer
Clothing and Accessories that are easiest for you to wear:
- a wrap dress is the quintessential dress shape for an hourglass figure
- look for v-necklines to flatter the top portion of your figure
- a-line skirts float nicely over the bottom half of your figure
- use a belt around your waist to bring attention to the tiniest part of your figure
- a feminine necklace can be a great way to bring attention to your décolletage, and accentuate the beauty of your curvy figure
Find outfits that would look really great on your triangle body shape here, here and here.
If this shape doesn’t sound like you, one of these other body shapes might feel more relatable: Circle, Triangle, Inverted Triangle, Standard, or Rectangle.
Leave a Reply